Thursday, August 21, 2008

A heart checklist

When I wonder how I’m doing on my journey with Jesus, I sometimes look at others who journey as well. I can usually find someone who is stumbling more than I am, and then I can feel better about my own journey.

Have you ever done that, too?

I don’t think it’s wrong to evaluate my walk but I think it’s not helpful to look at others who are on the journey. I think I need a better evaluation tool.

Here’s what I came up with, out of the book of Romans. I think these are marks to compare myself to. These reveal my heart and show me where I need to grow.

I don’t think these are burdens we should place on those who are not following Jesus, as though checking off this list will make them followers. This list is for followers of Jesus, to check our heart condition.

See what you think of the benchmarks:

    Is my love genuine?
  • Do I hate what is evil?
  • Do I hold fast to what is good?
  • Do I love other with mutual affection?
  • Do I outdo others in showing honor?
  • Do I lag in zeal?
  • Am I ardent in spirit?
  • Do I long to serve the Lord?
  • Do I rejoice in hope?
  • Am I patient in suffering?
  • Do I persevere in prayer?
  • Do I contribute to the needs of the saints?
  • Do I extend hospitality to strangers?
  • Do I bless, rather than curse, those who persecute me?
  • Do I rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep?
  • Do I live in harmony with one another?
  • Am I too haughty to associate with the lowly?
  • Do I claim to be wiser than I am?
  • Do I repay anyone evil for evil or do I do what is noble in the sight of all?
  • As much as it is possible, so far as it depends on me, do I live peaceably with all?
  • Do I seek vengeance or allow God to protect me?
  • Am I overcome by evil or do I overcome evil with good?

(Checklist courtesy of Romans 12:9-21)

No comments: