Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Served a feast

The second chapter of Titus is almost done. If you'll recall, I undertook a new discipline this summer: memorizing the book of Titus.

I am working on Titus 2:13 right now. (Keep holding me accountable.)

Memorizing helps me to see insights I have missed even with intensive reading. For example, Titus 2:11 says this:

For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men.

So simple and so easy to glide over. But I saw three important points:

  • Grace comes from God. He's the source of grace.
  • That grace brings salvation. I love the action word: "brings." I get an image of a waiter bringing the entree to the table. It comes to us; we are served.
  • That salvation has appeared to all men. It's not reserved for Pharisees or church elders. It has appeared to all.
But, like the entree placed on the tablecloth, we have to take it in. It doesn't do much good sitting there on the table.

Feast today!

No comments: