Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Evildoers for the Lord??


Beloved, I urge you as aliens and exiles to abstain from the desires of the flesh that wage war against the soul. Conduct yourselves honorably among the Gentiles, so that, though they malign you as evildoers, they may see your honorable deeds and glorify God when he comes to judge (1 Peter 2:11-12)

I could make a case to you that these verses show the “bring them to Jesus by my actions” sort of evangelism: conduct myself honorably. Be honest, be hard working, be committed to my family and they’ll glorify God when he comes. But notice the first sentence: abstain from the desires of the flesh that wage war.

I am being called in to warfare. What desires wage war against the soul? Am I honest when it hurts to tell the truth? Am I willing to shed an attitude when it tears at my soul? Am I prepared to crush a habit because it focuses me on my desires? For me, it may be food. Or pride. Or self-indulgence. For the next person, it may be fear. Or self-righteousness. Or love of man’s approval.

Peter is not talking about returning incorrect change at the gas station. He is talking about warfare. Am I willing to be labeled an evildoer because of Jesus? In the Roman Empire, religions were tolerated and many gods were honored. The Christian way of serving only one God was viewed as unreligious and so Christians were sometimes viewed with suspicion as dishonorable and evil.

Peter counsels his readers to wage war against physical desires – to look different from the indulgent ways of the Romans. This comes not by a pious appearance but by a war of spiritual forces. Wage war for your soul. Battle those things that would destroy the heart. Seek to crush the pride and jealousy and envy and fear and self-righteousness which woo the heart and threaten our relationship with God. Then they will see God in our lives.

No comments: