Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Palin on the scene

I was 23 at the time, a news reporter in search of a report on the Sheriff’s department drug bust last weekend. The sheriff was doing paperwork at his desk when I entered his office.

When he turned to me, a big grin burst over his face.

“I need to get information on that drug arrest,” I told him.

“You bet,” he said. “You ought to come on over here and sit on my lap while I tell you all about it.”

This was a long time ago, in a small town, and the idea of filing sexual harassment charges was not even on the radar. I simply stood my ground and repeated my request.

In most of my jobs, I have worked with men and enjoyed it. I have been generally treated honorably, as a team member pulling my own load.

I lived through the militant feminism of the ‘70’s, finding it too angry and extreme for my tastes. I have found much comfort in God’s presence, where I have felt what Paul said: There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. (Gal 3:28)

When I heard women rage against the sexism in this country in recent years, I saw their agenda of power overshadowing any concern for the individual woman.

Until Sarah Palin came on the national scene.

I respect Sarah. She bore a Down’s Syndrome son in an age that often considers a handicapped child too much of an inconvenience to deliver. She has five children, a supportive husband, and a vision to lead. She’s an evangelical with a fresh word and courage to stand up.

And I’m discovering that sexism has reared its ugly head like a snake in a garden. Criticism of her generally centers on her sex and not on her stand. Take a look at this blog to get a fuller picture of how the media and opposition are on the attack.

As a follower of Jesus, I want to live by Gal 3:28.

Tomorrow I’ll talk about what I’m going to do next.

No comments: