Thursday, May 7, 2009

Through whose eyes?

I’ve been thinking about worldviews lately.

I recently read an insight regarding the Left Behind series of books that I had not thought of before. You probably know the story line, where Christians disappear from the earth in the Rapture.

The critic commented on how little difference it made to that world when the Christians vanished. Family members missed loved ones but society hardly noticed, except in curiosity.

Wouldn’t you think that if all the Christians disappeared, society would suffer? There’d be no more Salvation Army. Prison Fellowship would vanish. I know many who have given up their summer vacation to build a house for the poor in Mexico or dig a water well in Haiti.

I think that when we, as followers of Jesus, reach out sacrificially, it’s because of our worldview. And it matters to the world, even if they don’t want to admit it.

Today some see our passion as fanaticism: dangerous and listing toward terrorism. Humanism is the common religion today where we assume that belief in ourselves is the key to unlimited dreams and success. It’s supposed to be about what we know and do.

“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge,” according to Proverbs 1:7.

Paul endorses that approach: “In Him all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge are hidden.” (Col 2:3)

We are in an age where it’s understood that, if we only educate properly, we will cure the world’s woes. That’s a humanistic worldview, trusting in our own potential.

That’s not my worldview. I want my eyes to be marinated in God’s Word. My responses and plans can’t be based on my faith in my own potential, but faith in the Creator of the universe.

Have you thought about your worldview lately?
There is a way that seems right to a man,
but in the end it leads to death.
Prov 16:25

1 comment:

Maxine said...

I would like to think my worldview is rooted in God's Word.

Stopped over to say Happy Mother's Day.