Monday, October 19, 2009

Home

When my grandmother was gripped by the claws of Alzheimer's, she spent a few months in a nursing home. But every day her cry was, "I want to go home."

Finally my uncle brought her home and made arrangements for in-house care.

But Grandma kept wandering through her house of 20 years, saying, "I want to go home."

By this time she had forgotten her husband and didn't recognize any of her 11 children. At her funeral, her pastor told us through teary eyes that she had finally gone home.

This world has many joys and many troubles. Even in our daily schedule, do we cling to what the psalmist wrote?

One thing I ask of the LORD,
this is what I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD
and to seek him in his temple.

Psalms 27:4

We know that God promises to hear our requests. Is this our request: to dwell in his house? Do I ask to move in, to risk the transparency of intimacy, so that I may gaze on his beauty and seek him?

Do I long to go home?

No comments: