Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Churchese

The first big challenge to me in my seminary years was to separate church culture and biblical worldview in my mind. I grew up in an institutional church (that's a traditional church with pews, hymnals, committees and traditions). I remember as a teenager when a guitar was not allowed in the sanctuary because... well, I'm not really clear on the because but it was somehow dishonoring God. I can't explain why an organ and piano honor God more than a guitar but there it was.

Here are some more church culture "must-haves" that I learned:
  • You must worship on Sunday morning.
  • You must dress up for the service.
  • The point of the service is the sermon.
  • If we love each other enough, others will be magnetically drawn into our building.
  • No food in the sanctuary.
  • No laughter in the sanctuary.
  • Candles are OK but incense is weird in the sanctuary.... actually, even in your home!
  • Christians buy their cars from Christian car dealers, their insurance from a Christian realtor, their groceries from a Christian store.
  • If we force unbelievers to act like we act, they will become Christians. That's why we picket vile places like video stores and Disney.
  • If we allow unbelievers to use our building, they will mar the floor and stain the carpet. They will not respect our tables and our pews.
  • We will show our Christianity by being honest and pure, illustrating the benefits in our lives in knowing Jesus.
  • We'd rather read books about the Bible than read the Bible.
  • We'd rather study about prayer than pray.
  • We'd rather say we pray at home than join others in public prayer.
  • We'd rather wear a Christian t-shirt than speak the name of Jesus in public.
  • We tithe if we can afford it.
  • We plan our church budget based on last year's expenditures and projected income, just like our business.
  • Jesus spoke pleasant platitudes that look good on pretty posters.
  • Jesus was slender and soft-spoken, slightly tanned with blue-eyes and a European nose.
  • God helps those who help themselves.
  • To witness to God means being a pastor or a missionary (Lord, please don't send me to Africa!)
  • God isn't concerned about most of the little decisions in my life.
  • My Christianity is mostly about getting to heaven. Why would I expect it to change my life much here? I'm not ready for heaven yet.
  • God knows we're human and doesn't expect all that much of us.
  • When showing a photo of the church, we frame a picture of the church building.
I want to address this topic again but for now, here are some words from Jesus himself:
"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it.

Luke 9:23-24

No comments: