Thursday, April 5, 2007

Getting there?

She was chatty and friendly. It didn’t take long for her to mention her church participation and her daughter’s attendance at Wednesday night youth group. Cool, I thought. Maybe we can talk about Jesus!

When she mentioned that she was trying to give up smoking again, I asked her what had happened to the last try. “Oh, stress got to me,” she said. “I was doing really well but then I got super busy and stress killed me.”

I was sympathetic. “Isn’t it interesting to find out what we use for comfort,” I said.

“Yeah, if I quit smoking, I’ll probably switch to junk food!” she laughed.

I laughed with her. “Well, remember what you learn at church, too,” I added. “There’s comfort in your Bible, too.”

She nodded. “Good idea!”

Before long, I asked her what church she attended. “I haven’t ever been to that church,” I said. “How do people in your church get to heaven?”

“Just like everybody else!” she laughed.

Of all the answers I was waiting for, that one shut me down a little bit. “Which is?” (Do you ever wish you had 24 hours to think over your next words?)

She was a little tongue-tied. “Uh, you know, doing good things, being nice to people, trying hard.” She frowned in thought. “You know, not sinning very much.”

“Do they talk about Jesus at your church?” I asked.

“Oh, yes!” she said and then we were interrupted and never came back to that thread of conversation.

I mussed with her worldview a bit. I could tell she was a little unsettled. I’m still stewing over our exchange, wondering what I should have said differently. I don’t know if I planted a seed or missed an opportunity.

But I am still mulling over the knowledge that a regular churchgoer in my hometown hasn’t heard that getting to heaven is easier than being nice to people and trying to minimize the sins.

No comments: