Tuesday, February 12, 2008

It's in the eyes



It was the eyes that made me notice all the connections. I was chatting with faraway cousins at our uncle’s funeral, realizing that, as I looked at each set of eyes, they reminded me of my sister’s eyes – and my eyes. We all shared our fathers’ brown eyes and dark eyebrows.

I never noticed that when we were kids playing at the parks.

Almost all of us were farm kids, remembering days of hauling grain and hoeing weeds. Our values were amazingly similar, too, and we all laughed: why don’t we get together more often?

Family connections are strong.

That made me think about Jesus who was sent by his Father. In his length discussions with the Pharisees, as written on the book of John, Jesus made it clear that he came from the Father to help others know the Father.

His purpose throughout was to bring people to the Father.

No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6)

When Philip begged him, “Show us the Father and that will be enough,” Jesus responded clearly: “Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father.” (John 14:9)

Among all the cousins, my brother stands out because he doesn’t share the brown eyes. His are green but his actions are like all of us. He shares many our values, even down the calloused farm hands.

It struck me, standing among family, how strong these family connections are.

We all look like our fathers because we our fathers’ children.

Jesus was saying the same thing: people, look at me. My actions are the same as my Father’s actions. When you see me, you see the Father.

When we look at Jesus, we can understand that he has his Father’s eyes.

Want to know the Father? Look at his Son.

No comments: