Monday, May 19, 2008

Conference


Paul had to pull a small suitcase around on wheels because he had brought his entire manuscript for editors to read. Marie passed out bookmarks to everyone she met, because her book will launch in a couple of months. Jeff discussed the intricacies of fantasy writing while warning that fantasy doesn’t sell well in the Christian market.

My days at the Colorado Christian Writers’ Conference in Estes Park were a kaleidoscope of images and words. I asked God to give me interesting contacts during our meal times and his answers were fascinating. I met a book editor, a couple of authors whose books will be featured here at some point, and many new friends.

Several ministries were highlighted – and I’ll be featuring those in a weekly column for awhile.

Writers can set sidetracked onto the craft of our latest novel or how to meet a magazine’s deadlines. But we were reminded that we, as followers of Jesus, write for him.

In Habakkuk, the prophet declared, “I will climb up into my watchtower now and wait to see what the LORD will say to me and how he will answer my complaint.” (Hab 2:1)


Each of us gets to do that, to climb our watchtower and wait for the Lord.


But here’s the kicker. God gave Habakkuk this instruction: "Write my answer in large, clear letters on a tablet, so that a runner can read it and tell everyone else.” (Hab 2:2)


If you write, let it be God’s answer. If you read, be the runner who tells others what God has written.


Either way, be waiting and watching for God’s words.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had an amazing time! Can't wait to hear more.