Thursday, May 10, 2007

The tasty tidbit


A treat given is a treat earned. At least according to my mustang mare, who always greets me at the gate hoping for something tasty to eat.

Sometimes when I join her in her pen, I share a treat. I probably look like a large feed dispenser to her and we do come at cross-purposes on that. I want to spend time with her. She likes to spend time with me, too, especially if I hand over some yummies.

The reason she gets treats sporadically is because I don’t want her to expect goodies every time I come. I want her to welcome me every time I come rather than pawing for treats. I want her to enjoy our time to together.

Those days when she wants the treat more than she wants me are disappointing.

I wonder if Jesus felt something like that. He came to the people, like I come to my mare, wanting to spend time together. Jesus was all about relationship, calling people to himself and directing them to the Father. He healed and did other treats out of love and compassion.

Yet people often came looking for the treats rather than being drawn to the relationship. He wanted to spend time with them; they wanted treats. When the tidbits weren’t like the people wanted, they rejected him to look for another.

I’d rather my mare loved the soft brush and the interesting workouts rather than crowding me to get another treat. I think Jesus wanted people to come, not for the benefits, but for the relationships.

He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him. But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name.

John 1:11-12

No comments: