Friday, September 7, 2007

Friday Five: Anthropomorphisms


Anthropomorphisms are figures of speech that apply human or earthly traits to God. They help us describe spirit in terms we understand. Here are five:

Warrior

Contend, O LORD, with those who contend with me;
fight against those who fight against me.
Take up shield and buckler;
arise and come to my aid.
Brandish spear and javelin
against those who pursue me.
Say to my soul,
"I am your salvation."

Psalms 35:1-3

Shelter

I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings
until the disaster has passed.

Psalms 57:1

Foundation

be my rock of refuge,
a strong fortress to save me.

Psalms 31:2

Walker

I will walk among you and be your God, and you will be my people.

Lev 26:12

Reasonable

"Come now, let us reason together,"
says the LORD.

Isaiah 1:18


Now add some of your favorites.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Psalm147:3 HE heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.

God our great physician-what a word picture is in this verse. God almighty bending down to heal a broken heart, and the exposure we must give HIM so that HE can bind it up. Thanks Kathy for this post