Wednesday, September 5, 2007

In exile

Analogies can be slippery, vibrant yet vague. How to illustrate without misleading, how to reveal and not obstruct….

It wasn’t exactly a cave. Or an ostrich, Or a commune in the mountains.

But I was once a separatist, rejecting all that had the smoky taste of the world. I boycotted movies starring homosexuals. A preacher with a divorce in his history was not worthy of my ear. Music was always suspect, lyrics and motives overlaid on transgressions and rhythms.

I often wondered why God, once I had opened the door to my heart, didn’t whisk me off to heaven so I could escape this soiled place.

Did Daniel, snatched from his homeland and pressed into the king’s inner court, feel the same? He was an alien in a strange world, surrounded by false gods and unhealthy practices. He refused the king’s food because it would defile him. (Dan. 1:8)

But irony of ironies: Daniel’s refusal to be tainted led him deeper into the king’s presence. Noticing Daniel’s wisdom and understanding, the king began consulting him often. He gained greater standing than the magicians and enchanters.

What’s up with that? Daniel didn’t get to go home. He remained in the strange land, surrounded by the scent of opulence and the tinge of idolatry. Superstition and conjuring ruled the king’s mind.

Before Daniel came on the scene, that is.

Daniel didn’t escape Babylon. He spent a lifetime correcting magicians, outdueling enchanters, revealing God’s mysteries, testifying to the power of the one true God.

Daniel was God’s agent to deliver life to Nebuchadnezzar, the powerful king who moved from ignorance to acknowledgement to serving God only. In the battle of two kings, Nebuchadnezzar learned his place as servant of the true King.

By his words, advice, wisdom, choices, prayers, and courage, Daniel served the king of Babylon well. And he served the King of kings even better.

Daniel was no separatist.

Daniel remained at the king's court.

Dan 2:49

3 comments:

Kate said...

We just looked at Daniel this week in Sunday School. I spent months reading Daniel last fall. And I came to the same conclusion that you did here.

I spent a brief amount of time on the sepratist path. I'm glad I did because it helped me to see first hand into the mindset of the pharisees. When I rejoined the human race, God gave me so much compassion and love for other people that I did not have before. I like it better where I am now.

Kathy said...

Kate, you put it well. I feel the same way. I have compassion and love for others that I didn't have in my cave. Then it was all about judgment, not mercy. You used the term "Pharisee" well. I think that's a huge temptation for the modern church-goer, to list into phariseeism. Have a blessed day!

God's girl said...

Wow-great post! I love how you put all that together. I unfortunately spent MUCH time on the separate path. But I too have so much newfound compassion and love for people now I am back! I have also had the chance to apologize to some. I think that speaks volumes. Also, opens them up to listen more. Very good how God can and does bring things full circle!
Blessings,
Angela