Friday, September 21, 2007

Friday Five: Front and center



Fasting can cleanse our thoughts, our bodies, our souls. We know about fasting from food, but others suggest fasting from media (TV, radio, recorded music) or from digital connections (internet, email).

The point is not the denial but the focus. Where do we place the spotlight of our life? If food is our god, then focus elsewhere. If email threatens to own us, then push it back onto tamer ground. What claims our mind when the storm clouds of challenge threaten? That often reveals our gods, the places we go for comfort.

On fasting….

So I turned to the Lord God and pleaded with him in prayer and petition, in fasting, and in sackcloth and ashes.

Dan 9:3

'Even now,' declares the LORD,
'return to me with all your heart,
with fasting and weeping and mourning.'

Joel 2:12

But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to men that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Matt 6:17-18

Jesus answered, "How can the guests of the bridegroom mourn while he is with them? The time will come when the bridegroom will be taken from them; then they will fast.

Matt 9:15

When I weep and fast,
I must endure scorn;

Psalms 69:10

So after they had fasted and prayed, they placed their hands on them and sent them off.

Acts 13:3

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am teaching Daniel beginning next week..and I have been very interested in learning more about fasting. I have done a couple different types, and have fasted TV for about 5 years...I know it works, just not sure I know enough about it to lead someone else..could you recommend a book? I have run a check on line, but there are so many and I do trust your stability in the Word to direct me. Thanks, Love Princess to Princess

Kathy said...

Darla, a great book is John Piper's "A Hunger for God." It isn't a how-too book but really lays the foundation for why we should fast. Also, I know that Bill Bright wrote a good how-to book on fasting (he did some 40-day fasts). Hope that helps a little!

Anonymous said...

Thank you princess! That is an awesome place to start..I know that fasting will bring HIM close in a hurry, making us ears that hear HIM..Love to you