Monday, October 22, 2007

Music in the walk


This whole plan began as an effort to eliminate family piracy. When my youngest children discovered contemporary Christian music, their spiritual barometer moved skyward. They were encouraged by the new music and challenged by thoughtful lyrics.

Then I discovered they were borrowing CDs from friends and family, burning them onto our computer, and listening through Windows Media Player. They had no money for tunes and thought they’d found the perfect solution.

After our discussion about piracy and digital theft, we had a brainstorm. I agreed to buy a CD a month with three of us choosing the CD on a rotating basis. They were free to buy their own or beg for gifts but they could count on the CD of their choice every third month.

It works pretty well. But here’s the deal. I need ideas!

Here’s what we’ve bought since January:

Go by Newsboys

Scars Remain by Disciple

Awaken by Natalie Grant

The Yearbook by KJ52

Hearts of the Innocent by Kutless

Open Wide this Window by GlassByrd

Chaotic Resolve by Plumb

Sing Alleluia by City on a Hill

Comatose by Skillet

Bigger Than My Imagination by Michael Gungor

Thrive by Newsboys


Can we say eclectic?

Do you have any recommendations? Does music help your worship? Or contemplation? What songs or artists or albums do you love?

6 comments:

Susan said...

Hi Kathy. I'm currently hooked on Kirk Franklin's Hero CD. It is REALLY good. Some of it really moves along, let me tell you, but go to my blog and click on "Imagine Me". The words are powerful.

We also love Casting Crowns. Travis Cottrell. Michael W. Smith. TobyMac. Have fun!

Kathy said...

Susan, thanks for the ideas! I'm going to check them out. I wish there was a site for "sounds similar to" artists. I want to broaden our musical selection.

Kate said...

Kathy,

We subscribe to Rhapsody music online and they have "sounds similar to" recommendations under the artist that is playing.

Kate

Anonymous said...

Stellar Kart, Toby Mac...love so many! and My kids love these too! Casting Crowns, Mary Mary...whew my list could go on forever..go to the Christian bookstore and listen to a song off of different ones before you decide..sounds like fun!

God's girl said...

Toby Mac-most any
Kirk Franklin-most any
Mandissa-She only has one out so far
Travis CottrelL!!!
Most of these are repeats but ones I love!

Anonymous said...

Anything by Third Day, I have four of their albums. Also love Mercy Me.