Friday, June 20, 2008

Close to heaven

Lola leans forward eagerly. “I always say that God’s got a plan,” she said. “We just have to trust that.”


Edna’s eyes fall shut for a spell but then she snaps back to alertness.

I open my Bible and read. “We always pray for you, and we give thanks to God the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (Col 1:3)

Those are my words, too.

Mildred needs a large-print Bible although she brings her own Bible every week. “My kids gave me this one but I can’t read the print,” she tells us all every week.

I continue to read. “We have heard that you trust in Christ Jesus and that you love all of God's people.” (Col 1:4)

“I’m not very good at knowing how to share the gospel with people,” Lola reveals. “But I try to pray for them and I try to live for Jesus.”

I meet with this group every Friday morning. I started because my mother begged asked me but I keep going back. For three years now, I go back.

The oldest is 92 years old. Heaven is on their mind but mostly family and friends. They’re looking forward to their tea party after we finish today.

I read on: “You do this because you are looking forward to the joys of heaven—as you have been ever since you first heard the truth of the Good News. “ (Col 1:5)

Mildred's asleep again but Edna is hanging on every word now.

Heaven is not far from them. But, as I go back week after week, I find that heaven is not all that far away from me, either.

No comments: