Saturday, July 7, 2007

The always of joy

Her eyes sparked with anger and we were all too young and wide-eyed to have a response. “God can’t expect us to be joyful all the time. That’s not possible. Do you think a girl who has been raped and beaten is joyful? NO! This can’t be true.”

We were studying Philippians, and had zeroed in on the fourth verse of chapter 4: Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Having no answer for her, we slunk home and wondered just what Paul meant, anyway.

Today, I might point her to James. He talked about joy, too, and he coupled it to difficulties: Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds. (James 1:2)

Why? To develop perseverance. To develop character. To become mature and complete. (See James 1:3-4)

God tests us but he never tempts us. James assures us of that a few verses later (1:13). On the front side, an event can look like either a test or temptation. But God always uses tests to make us better. Temptation comes to tear us down, to pull us into destruction. Our response will either draw us closer to God, or we will push him away.

My goal in following Jesus is to look more and more like him, to become more molded to his character. Any test that helps me grow closer to him and toward maturity is a good thing.

God births maturity in us, often through tests. The pain of childbirth evaporates with that first newborn cry. I can welcome a test, knowing what will emerge at the end: maturity.

Joy is not a happy-happy lack of difficulty. Joy is the awareness of God’s grace maturing me in the midst of difficulties. It is the resting in his presence, knowing his hand is molding me and sculpting me like soft clay. I am always changed by tests. Rejoice always that God intends it for my good.

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Heb 12:2

5 comments:

God's girl said...

This is so true. I love this. Why does it seem that our emotions always want to take over? Joy is a choice. Sue it is emotion too but the true joy comes by faith in God's word.
Much love,
Angela :)

Kate said...

I just had a picture of clay. When you first begin to work with it, it is tough and unyielding. The longer you mold it the softer it becomes. And so it is with our relationship with Jesus. We are resistant at first but the longer we walk with him and the better we know him the more quickly we yield to his touch.

Your post reminds me of an essay that Andree Seu wrote recently in World Magazine on this very subject. Joy always. An idea that has been sparked in my mind thanks to you and Andree.

Kate

ocean mommy said...

This phrase grabbed my heart: "Any test that helps me grow closer to him and toward maturity is a good thing."

I needed this reminder, thanks for sharing.

stephanie

Maxine said...

A man from our church is doing a series on the book of James and he just touched on all of this a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for your usual good insights, Kathy!
Have a blessed Lord's Day tomorrow.

Kathy said...

What incredible comments. Angela, you're so right that we have choices. We sometimes pretend we don't and then get weepy over the choices we made pretending we didn't. Kate, that image of clay is so real. I want to do an essay on that issue sometime. I love Andree Seu's essays and now I need to go take a look at what she wrote. Stephanie, thank you for the encouragement. It's hard to keep the big picture of why we're on this path but it's worth the work. Maxine, blessings to you. James is such an incredible book. I want to write a series about it someday.