Thursday, July 19, 2007

Setting the belonging bar



On my latest incursion through the book of Romans, I found a mirror lurking in the second chapter. The first chapter of Romans flails the decadent element of the first century. You can stand in the checkout line of Wal-Mart and see the modern-day version of that on the covers of the magazines.

Ever get really satisfied seeing the wicked get theirs? The end of Romans 1 methodically dissects their lives and promises their end.

However, I turned the page: You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else. (Romans 2:1)

If you haven’t in a while, journey through Romans 2. Where Paul refers to the Jew, put “church-goer” in there. Maybe it’s you. Maybe it is me. Replace “Gentiles” with “nonbelievers.” That’s them.

Do I “rely on the law and brag about [my] relationship to God”? (Romans 2:17) What do I do that makes me special?

Ever heard this: “He’s such a nice person that he must be a Christian!” Or this: “She’s so good that if she’s not a Christian, she will be soon!”

A man's praise is not from men, but from God. (Romans 2:29)

Irony drips in many of our churches. We proclaim a “saved by grace” gospel while enabling our doorkeepers to identify the nice people for admittance. We read Romans 1 with vengeance, pointing out the failures of the world around us. Surely if the world only sees our love for one another (contrasted with their evil ways), they will rush into our buildings.

Here’s our philosophy: behave, then believe, then we’ll let you belong.

I have a friend who sends me regular e-mails about God’s protection and the need for prayer. I don’t know for sure if she follows Jesus although I tend to think not. However, I allow her to belong. I tell her about people who are praying for our family. I tell her about God’s work in our lives and how I’ve submitted my heart to Jesus. I tell her I’m praying for her.

My philosophy is this: let her belong, give her time to believe, and then let the Spirit teach her to behave.

When Jesus called Matthew, he didn’t ask the tax collector to quit swearing, stop smoking, skin off the tattoo, and buy a suit. He said, “Follow me,” and went to Matthew’s house for supper, earning the scorn of the religious leaders. He embraced Matthew as he was and Matthew was overwhelmed by his presence.

What rules do we have in place? Where have we set the bar for joining? What do we see in the mirror?

On hearing this, Jesus said to them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

Mark 2:17

5 comments:

Maxine said...

The main thing is to bring them to Jesus, Isn't it? He cleans them up. I never would have made it otherwise. Blessings--I've been trying to get my printer working with my new laptop and finally have a copy of your study on Tuesday printed out. Hope to begin looking for pericopes!

Kate said...

I sat at my dining room table yesterday with a pastor who was lamenting the state of marriages of couples who have joined his church in the last year or so. All I could think was Thank goodness they are coming to church. They have their whole lifetime to get cleaned up...to be made acceptable. Welcome them where they are and take them from there. I don't know that this pastor sees it this way but I for one am glad for God's grace and patience. He has given me the rest of my life to become who he created me to be.

Thank you for the verses. When you pull them out and highlight them in this way, it really makes one think.

Kate

God's girl said...

Love this post! Ouch-looking at ourselves is the hardest isn't it?
Much love,
Angela

Anonymous said...

Happened upon your writings.....encouraging and thought provoking...I will be visiting your blog often...thank you for sharing....thank YOU LORD for the work You are doing in this sister's heart.
coram deo,
Donna

Kathy said...

Thanks for your comments. I once talked with a man who planned to return to church someday but first he had to get his cussing problem cured. I told him Jesus welcomed him as he was, but he refused to consider that. He needed to get cleaned up and then he'd be back. I think we often convey that message, unfortunately. Thanks for stopping by!