Monday, July 9, 2007

Five Things I Dig About Jesus

I was tagged by Angela at Refresh my Soul and so I’m plunging into the refreshing text of the gospels. What do I respect about Jesus? Here’s my list:

His prayers. I love how he prioritized prayer.

Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed. Mark 1:35

I love how he prayed for his own disciples and for future believers.

My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message. John 17:20

I love how he’s interceding for me right now.

Because he always lives to intercede for them... Heb 7:25

His touch. He touched little children, the unclean (dead, sick, handicapped), and his followers. He encouraged touch. He understood our incredible need for connection and he touched.

The people all tried to touch him, because power was coming from him and healing them all. Luke 6:19

Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have." Luke 24:39

His humility. He came to serve. He gave up the grandeur of heaven, the intimacy of the Father, the purity of paradise to wash feet!

But I am among you as one who serves. Luke 22:27

For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor. (2 Cor 8:9)

But made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant…(Phil 2:7)

His death. It’s a cliché, but Jesus came to die. He willingly endured the suffering and the death to pay my debt. He fulfilled the Father’s plan and bought my freedom.

The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life…John 10:17

And became obedient to death-- even death on a cross! Phil 2:8

His resurrection. But death could not hold him! I love the power of the resurrection. Evil is no longer king but there is hope and life.

He has risen! He is not here. Mark 16:6

Three days later he will rise. Mark 10:34

Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy. John 16:22

Thanks, Angela! This was a fun morning exercise. Now I’ll tag Ann, Millie Jo and Maxine (but only if you have time!)

3 comments:

God's girl said...

Kathy,
Thanks for doing that! I was very interested in seeing how you would answer this. You posts never cease to amaze me. You are an encouragement to me! You need to know that. Thanks for participating! :)
Much love,
Angela

Maxine said...

Hi Kathy,
I'm finally getting here to see what you're up to and see that I've been tagged! I love what you said and the sentiments you express are right on. Anyway,it would be hard for me to speak on such a lofty topic in a rushed way: I want to make a promised Aunt Jane post this week at Scraps and at my other blog I'm honoring my hubby for a few weeks (btw, please sign his birthday card over at Reflections) so I may no be able to get to this right away.

Plus, my head is spinning because we're having a dinner for him on Sat. so I don't know just WHAT I'll be able to do this week. I hope at some point I can do it, but forgive me if it's a while. I LOVE so many things about my Jesus!

Kate said...

The touch of Jesus...a small thing, easily overlooked, and here it is in your list. You know Him well.

Kate