Thursday, July 26, 2007

No separation


Takato flew halfway around the world to spend his 30 days of summer vacation with our family. We met this 13-year-old Japanese boy through the Colorado 4-H exchange program.

Takato speaks a little English and we speak less Japanese. So the start of the trip home after meeting Takato was a little quiet as our 11-year-old son tried to start conversations. Takato would shake his head because he didn’t understand.

But before long, I heard growling from the back seat. Then roars and an odd exchange began. One would bark and the other would imitate. Then they’d giggle before starting a new round of noises.

I leaned over to my daughter, “They don’t need to know Japanese or English because they speak ‘boy.’”

They’ve had fake kick-boxing matches on the trampoline and I caught Takato sitting on the roof of our garage catching basketballs from Toby and dropping them through the hoop.

They speak boy.

Now you’re probably wondering how I’m going to give this some kind of spiritual twist. Me, too.

I think God delights in watching two boys, on the cusp of manhood, playing with noises and conquests. He designed them and enables them. I don’t want to live in a world that is divided between spiritual and material.

It’s all God’s world and we can enjoy it with him!

I'll live right there with them. I'll be their God! They'll be my people!

Ezek 37:27

4 comments:

Unknown said...

How wild that you should post about boy noises. I just posted at my blog about boy noises to the next level... human beat boxes. It's pretty amazing what this guy can do with his voice. I think he probably had lots of practice when he was young with grunts and growls. LOL

Meg said...

I don't know how to speak boy...except grown up boy that is...all girls at my house except for Dan =) That is a neat opportunity for your whole family. Enjoy it. Meg

Beverly said...

How sweet! We need to be more like our children at times, don't we? Thanks for visiting my blog!

Anonymous said...

O_O YOU POSTED ABOUT TAKATO AND I? GR! (just kidding) The ball thing on the roof: that was fun. I was up there most of the time, and if I took the ball above my head ant threw it, it would hit the ground and bounce really, really high!!

~Ehthak