Thursday, July 5, 2007

Nostalgia revisited


I’m not a real nostalgic person, although I’m re-thinking that position a little.

I learned to look ahead at my mother’s knee. She spent most of my childhood trying to forget that she’d hatched me.

Actually, that’s not true. She was a saint, persevering through those early years when I was the strong-willed child that Dr. Dobson warned – er, wrote – about. I knew at age 2 that I was more stubborn than she was. I eventually learned I was wrong but it took a while.

Once, when my three younger siblings were roaring about the house with lots of noise and flying objects, my mother sighed. “If only I’d just one….” Then she glanced at me. “But that would have been you.”

Another time, I confronted her: “If I was really that bad, why’d you have more kids?” She smiled, “I knew it couldn’t get any worse.”

When my first-born was a little tyke, I’d call her up. “Mom, she was dancing naked in a mud puddle today!” And my mother laughed and laughed. And laughed.

I thought I heard in her gasp, “Payback!” but I’m not sure about that.

I mean, I never danced naked in a mud puddle. I fed bobby pins to my baby brother instead. I asked Mom at age 7, “How come you don’t like me?” and she replied, “Oh, I like you OK. I don’t like the stuff you do.”

The reason I share this is because it’s important to my walk with Jesus. When I think I should polish up my Christian crown a little, I can look back. I didn’t start this life as a saint and it’s only by God’s incredible grace that I’m where I am.

I was in a black sludge-filled sewer pond when he reached out his hand and offered me a lift. It’s only when I remember who I was before Jesus, and who he is as my rescuer, that I’m a lot more humble and lot less about polishing any crowns.

So I’m not real nostalgic, except to remember my redemption. Then, humility is the order of the day.

Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

John 8:32

3 comments:

Kate said...

You are so right! Nostalgia about who I was without Christ is vital to humility. Compassion for others comes easily when I keep that picture in mind.

Kate

God's girl said...

Love this! So very true. Humility is the key and children sure help us remember that!
Hugs,
Angela

Maxine said...

Your mother is so funny! You must have been really something..
I once thought myself to have been a pretty angelic person in my younger days. Gave my mom little trouble--and then one day, I discovered that I was a sinner. An old country type preacher prayed at the end of his sermon "Please save poor lost church members." It was quite a shocking revelation if you want the truth, but the discovery led me to Christ. Whatever it takes to humble us is good and as Kate said, helps us to be more longsuffering in our relations with others.
Have a blessed day, Kathy