Thursday, June 7, 2007

Aching for presence


My husband spent three weeks in Chile a few years ago. Through the magic of e-mail and faxes, we were able to communicate daily. Yet I counted down the days until he was home. I wanted more than communication – I wanted presence.

Jesus was questioned once by John’s disciples: why don’t your disciples fast? A pious Jew of the day fasted twice a week but Jesus and his followers did not. Jesus’ answer was a classic: why fast while the guest of honor is here?

Fasting, for the Jew of that day, carried the flavor of mourning and loss. Jews grieved their sins and the loss of Eden.

Jesus was the restoration of presence. There was no need to mourn while his followers were with him. That came later.

Does your heart ache for the presence of Jesus? We have his Spirit within us and so we rejoice in intimate communication. But do you ache for his presence? There’s a bittersweet aroma to our walk. We have Jesus’ Spirit, we have his Word, we have permission to stand boldly before the throne of grace. But we long for his presence.

Although I filled my days with activities while my beloved was in Chile, I don’t remember what they were. I remember his messages and I remember watching the highway on the day of his return. I remember the joy of his arms.

The bridegroom is coming. We fill our days with activities but they are nothing. May our arms ache for Jesus’ presence. May our hearts pound with anticipation, for the day is coming when we will feel the joy of his arms.

Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy.

John 16:22

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this blog. I stumbled upon it the other day accidentally, and must say that I really enjoy it! I love that picture of Jesus welcoming a believer home. I bought a print of it for my mom once, to help her realize what a wonderful homecoming it was for my dad when he died, and maybe help her not be so sad and stop wishing that he was back here on earth.

Kathy said...

I appreciate your comments so much. I liked the picture, too. It illustrates the hope of our walk. Thank you for sharing about your parents. You blessed me.