Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Speaking in code

It looked like a casual brushing of errands. I was trying to open my new post office box. She was a little sprite of a woman, well into retirement and sorting through junk mail, apologizing for taking up the table. I assured her there was no problem and turned my attention to figuring out the combination lock.

She pursued the conversation. “We’re so glad that God allows us to pay all these bills.”
I had just turned the lock tumbler to the left when I needed the right, so my reply was distracted. “It is a blessing to be able to do that,” I agreed.

“God takes good care of us,” she said. Then, as she gathered her mail and started out the door, she stopped and faced me intentionally. “May you go today in the circle of God’s love.”

And I turned to her. “Do you know Jesus?”

Her smile brightened the room. “Yes, I do! I love to talk about him!”

Then she told me a story about blessing a man as she has blessed me. He had left the post office and then returned to thank her. “I drive a lot,” he said, “and I needed to hear that.”

Recently I exchanged e-mails with a new friend who used the name “Aslan” in her address. Yes, that really meant “Jesus” to her and she used the questions to tell a little about her connection.

Many American Christians have resorted to codes in talking about our faith. We’re doing the equivalent of drawing fish in the dust, like the early Christians. We don’t face arrest for our faith and sometimes I lash myself for lack of courage. Why should I care if I offend someone with my declaration of faith? Isn’t my allegiance to Christ?

And yet… Remember Jesus talking with the Samaritan woman? She drew water from a well and so he talked about living water. When Nicodemus came in the night with questions about the kingdom of heaven, Jesus talked about being born a second time. He told parables that confused many.

He spoke in a code of sorts. There’s a time to whip out the four spiritual laws or walk someone through Romans, but for many, their journey is not that far. They may need to hear about living water or about starting over. They may need to think about God today rather than their problems.

Our conversation doesn’t need to be dripping with a gospel presentation. Sometimes we need only to open a conversation and mention God’s name. Sometimes their thirst becomes apparent.

When a Samaritan woman came to draw water, Jesus said to her, "Will you give me a drink?"
John 4:7

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful! This post is so beautiful and such an inspiration. Thank you for reminding us that God is in the little things just as much as the big :-)

<>< Kelly

Kathy said...

Thanks! I'm amazed over and over at God's tender attention to his children. I'm like the psalmist: what are people that you are mindful of us? I'm glad you stopped in.