Thursday, August 9, 2007

Broken joy

Her face was aglow, raised to the sky, her arms embracing the joy of the moment. She was Lisa Smith, providing inspired signing at a Women of Faith conference.

Maybe you’ve seen her.

Joy is personified in Lisa. She blazes with devotion and adoration for Jesus. I have never seen such focused worship, the freedom of passion and commitment.

By the way, did I mention that Lisa has Down’s Syndrome?

Maybe you thought, O-o-o-oh, poor girl.

Don’t say that’s too bad for Lisa. She has what I wish I had. She radiates love and delight. With her arms outstretched, her body glows with zeal and commitment.

God has blessed Lisa with an incredible gift. He has taken a young woman with a condition that we pity and revealed an incredible truth. Who among us is more worthy to worship him than Lisa? We all come broken and humble before the magnificent throne of God but some embrace their worship and some embrace their condition.

Remember John’s description of the throne room? Day and night they never stop saying: "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come." (Rev 4:8)

And this is an incredible picture of worship:

Whenever the living creatures give glory, honor and thanks to him who sits on the throne and who lives for ever and ever, the twenty-four elders fall down before him who sits on the throne, and worship him who lives for ever and ever. (Rev 4:9-10)

Remember Isaiah’s vision? He saw God on his throne, surrounded by worshipping seraphs:

And they were calling to one another:
"Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty;
the whole earth is full of his glory." (Isaiah 6:3)

I can imagine Lisa someday joining those seraphs and elders in worship. She’ll be an awesome sight because she’s been practicing a long time. She doesn't let brokenness keep her away from the throne.

I think I want to get some practice in, too.

You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honor and power,
for you created all things,
and by your will they were created
and have their being.

Rev 4:11

5 comments:

Darla said...

Very good thoughts and a great focus for today...been looking and praying for one!

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to thank you sooo much for your comment on Tam's blog....I agree wholeheartedly and say AMEN SISTA! I came here to make a comment, and been reading yours now for half and hour!!!!! What a blessing!
Til He Comes,
Deborah

Tam said...

This is similar to my devotion this morning. So God must be really wanting to tell me something. The other devotion actually used a dog, but a dilapidated ole dog who could barely move, see or anything - but barked like the mad dog he was because thats what he was suppose to do to protect his owners. The pup was simply doing what was expected of him and didn't let his limitations get in the way. So here I am reading yours - my knuckles are killing me as I type, Lupus, and I'm wanting to scream! But today - I'm not gonna let my Lupus hinder me! Thank you Kathy for this well written post - it is perfect!

And I'm with Deb, my sweet friend above, your comment on my blog was right on!

Meg said...

Amen, amen and amen!

God's girl said...

Precious.