Monday, August 20, 2007

Crashing

It was a blow that would have laid me out a few years ago. The anger would have gripped my day like a baby kitten latching onto a pant leg.

My laptop crashed on vacation.

Leisurely days of writing and of Bible study had beckoned on the horizon of our holiday. But it didn’t happened.

Now I face days of rebuilding. I have to re-install programs, locate passwords, download new patches.

My biggest grief was the loss of three years of journaling, my love letters to my Lord.

But I am not David, mourning the loss of a son. I am not Abraham, moving to a land I do not know. I am not Esther, facing possible death depending on king’s mood or Paul sitting in jail depending on the political winds.

God has been good to me. Virtually all my documents were on an external hard drive so I haven’t lost those. And I discovered a back-up of my journals from about 6 months ago, so I haven’t lost all of them. We have another computer at home for internet connections.

While we were gone last week, I opened a notebook and felt drawn to the book of John (more on that later).

I began a new love letter to my Lord and we’ll move forward. His presence, not a laptop, is all I need.


3 comments:

Maxine said...

Oh, Kathy! How sad! Your last statement is a gem. This is a reminder to us all.

Susan said...

Yikes. Been there and done it, unfortunately and I'm not sure what was worse...the anger or the grief from what was lost! But, thank you for the reminder in your last line. And, definitely longing to hear more on John...

Meg said...

So sorry you lost your journals and your laptop. You have good perspective. Move forward, keep moving forward. Love, Meg