Thursday, August 16, 2007

Unscrambling culture



I had already whipped those farm eggs into a yellow froth when my husband leaned over my shoulder. “I was sort of hoping to have them fried this morning,” he said.
Ever tried to unscramble an egg?
Truthfully, that was my feeling after my first seminary class. We began to discuss culture and biblical truths, about how important it is to separate culture from our faith.
Sometimes we make a stand on a long-standing church practice only to discover it doesn’t have a biblical beginning. It may not be wrong, just not required. Churches have split over some of these practices.
For example, the altar call began in the late 1800’s as a result of revival camp meetings. But in some churches, a service cannot end without an altar call – including closing your eyes so that the convicted soul can make their commitment in private. Please don’t think I am against altar calls. Some dear Christians friends began their spiritual journey that way.
But I’m saying it isn’t a biblical requirement. Jesus didn’t require it. Neither did Paul. It’s not a requirement for redemption. It’s not a bad thing. It encourages a person to make a decision. It has merit but it isn’t required.
I’m on thin ice here but hang with me.
Harry Plantinga is director of Christian Classics Ethereal Library, a handy website where an incredible number of Christian classics can be downloaded and read. He commented,
Christian belief and practice in any time or place is much affected by the surrounding culture. It's easy to find yourself with beliefs and concerns that are cultural rather than essentially Christian.
It feels like unscrambling an egg sometimes to separate culture from Christian belief.
But Plantinga believes we have a powerful resource to help: the classics. He said:
Writings from the first century are very helpful and revealing in that respect, because they are so close to the time of Jesus' life and they come at a time when the church was growing dramatically. The gospel preached then is the one that quickly spread throughout the world.
Here’s my suggestion: plunge into a classic writing. The text can be a little challenging but it’s worth the effort.
Try some of the writings of these early church fathers to get you started: Ignatius of Antioch, Polycarp, Clement, Justin Martyr.
We can separate culture and faith. It is easier than unscrambling that egg!

Christian Classics Ethereal Library

6 comments:

Kate said...

I personally think that altar calls are prohibitive for the younger generations. We were at a church that did away with them and the number of baptisms shot up from one or two a month to around twenty. There are other ways, more personal, intimate ways to make a profession of faith.

We've been at two traditional churches this year and every week they do the "close your eyes, bow your head altar call and no one comes." It makes me sad that tradition is valued over the needs of the people.

Kate

Unknown said...

Kate, Kathy is actually on vacation right now... I hope relaxing! She gave me her articles to post for each day. I'm sure she'll have great comments to make when she returns.
Ann

Darla said...

That is huge as to why we need to be scriptural and stay in the word or we could take something that is passed down generationally, and it may not be what the Lord wants. Not necessarily wrong, but not worthy of division.

I love the old writings, the older the better. I can feel there love for the Lord and thier hearts of obedience..I want that! Not the exclusive club we look like too often.

Darla said...

Thanks for the link to CCEL...I will be using that!

Maxine said...

As others have said, the old classics are difficult, but often worth it.
About altar calls, in our church we don't have a "call" to come to the front of the church, but usually the pastors do give a "call" to come to Christ. I love Kathy's position on this practice, which is so beloved in some circles. As long as a person isn't deceived into thinking that their walk to the front is their basis for salvation, it isn't a wrong practice--but certainly Christ isn't pleased if it become an essential element of Christianity.
Very, very enlightening post.

Tam said...

My husband and I have been talking a lot lately about how much culture has affected the church. We are not a church, on a whole, anymore that is affecting our culture. We're stuck in our bubbles and clicks and go through the motions. We're on a mission to change this, at least in our community. Thanks for the post! Great, great stuff here...I love it. Hope you're enjoying your vacation!!!