Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Comment Circus: Results


I hope you’ve already read the comments to Saturday’s “Comment Circus.” If not, please take a look. I have pulled a few excerpts out for consideration, but that’s not to suggest my excerpts are better than the original comments, for they decidedly are not.

I have been encouraged by your zeal and passion. Here are some things I observed as I read your comments.

For some of you, following Jesus is better than managing your own life. Some of you have tried it your own way. Ann commented, “When I was in the drivers seat I ended up making a huge mess of my life.” Janelle agreed: “my life was a wreck of which I never want to return.”

That practical touch carried over to several other posts. Kittyhox said, “Without Him life doesn't make any sense, have any lasting meaning, and just doesn't work!” Darla added, “because it works, and there are no better ideas!”

Jen agreed: "I know what it was like to be me before I met Him."

Tam added a twist: “Why NOT follow Jesus? The truth about God is known instinctively in our hearts.”

The alternative was unacceptable. Alyson said, “Without him my life is empty.” Leah agreed. “I would be in a pit of sin so fast it would make my head spin if I didn't follow Him.”
Angela added, “He is my everything and I am lost without Him.”

Quoting Peter, Kate continued that thought. "Lord, to whom shall I go? You are the Holy One of God." (John 6:68-69)

Maxine remembered Jesus’ work: “He is the author and finisher of my faith; He is the One who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God, making intercession for me.”

Christine’s thoughts were of Jesus’ nature. “Jesus is the Vine…the Water…the Light.”

For Susan, the why was one word: “eternity.” Meg added, “my only hope.”

Cicilia highlighted Jesus’ role as mentor and leader. “He shows me how to love, to give hope to the hopeless, how to receive comfort, and how to know I am never, ever alone in this divinely human journey I am on.”

Kara also focused on the leadership: “No one comes to the Father but by Him.”

Jesus’ character attracts Zam: “He exemplifies obedience, and if I were a flower, then He'd be my sun.”

By limited comments to one sentence, I hoped the explanations would reflect the essence of your relationships with Jesus. I think it worked. I am awestruck by the richness of understanding, the tenderness of relationship, the passion of the remarks.

You now have a one-sentence response to those who might ask, “why Jesus? Why follow?” Your mini-testimony is polished and ready to use.

Thank you for your wisdom and grace in sharing. Did you notice, by the way, that we're over 15 comments? I guess the kittens stay home. Thank you for joining in!

2 comments:

Darla said...

Sweet Post! I love to come and read, not alway enough time in my day to join in everything...But "Why Jesus"... :) always have time to answer that one! you are very encouraging...Princess to Princess

Meg said...

That was fun Kathy. Thanks for doing it. Meg