Thursday, August 30, 2007

Dive In: Luke

The third gospel, Luke’s report, takes a different tack than either Matthew or Mark. Luke was not an eyewitness of Jesus’ life and makes clear in the first four verses of his gospel that his purpose is to present an orderly, well-researched and truthful account of Jesus’ ministry.

Luke was a well-educated man, a Gentile, and an historian. He seems to be writing largely to Gentiles in Syrian Antioch as a shepherd or pastor, although scholars suggest he had three more purposes: to make a historical record, to teach theological truths, and to defend Jesus’ teachings.

Christians in Rome were accused of being law-breakers, because they considered God’s Word to be above Roman law. Luke may have been explaining and defending Christian practices to the Romans.

Luke wrote a lot. The gospel and Acts make up nearly half of the New Testament. A brilliant historian/writer, Luke’s research and attention to detail is amazing. His command of Greek is impressive.

While Matthew aimed his universality at getting Jews to see outside their Jewish limits, Luke’s universality was aimed at Gentiles and social outcasts. He cared for people, especially the poor and outsider.

Matthew concentrated on Jesus and the Kingdom (Jesus as King) and Mark focused on Jesus as Servant God. Luke concentrated on Jesus and the people.

Luke emphasized Jesus’ humanity, including His compassion for the unclean, women, sick and poor. Luke also emphasized Jesus’ role as savior and teacher. Luke includes 15 unique parables and devotes a huge chunk of his gospel to the gospel teaching of Jesus, including 28 parables.

Today many confuse Jesus with a moral teacher or a strict disciplinarian. Luke paints a different story. Through Luke’s account, we see Jesus as the lover of the poor and downtrodden.

Tomorrow, we’ll look at John.

3 comments:

lori said...

Kathy,
I popped over from Small Scribbles, anyone she reads is usually worth reading too:)
I have had a wonderful time...I love
theology...no master's here though...I love your site and your insights....
Its been a blessing!

God's girl said...

Kathy,
I am LOVING this series! Thanks for all your insight. God has blessed you indeed. I did not realize that Luke and Acts made up that much of the New Testament. All I had to do was look really but I just never put two and two together.

Also, this blessed me because I think my writing is more like this and although I would love to be like John or other more interesting writers there is a need for someone like Luke and me. :)
Much love,
Angela

Darla said...

I love the detail in Luke...and the fact that he stayed with Paul and probably took care of him. My own thinking is that if we look at the differences of these books we should not miss the overall point that GOD is showing us. HE has not missed a beat or a view from a different angle...it is all covered so as not to miss anyone with HIS good news. HE truly love us so much, what an awesome love letter! After digging, I love to just sit in Awe of HIM (or facedown or what ever posture hits me)Thanks for your insight and taking so much time to enlighen us, and help us to keep digging!