Friday, August 3, 2007

Friday Five: Servant


Five comments on a servant:

It is enough for the student to be like his teacher, and the servant like his master. Mt. 10:25

Here is my servant whom I have chosen, the one I love, in whom I delight; I will put my Spirit on him,
and he will proclaim justice to the nations.
Mt. 12:18

No servant can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money. Lk 16:13

At the time of the banquet he sent his servant to tell those who had been invited, 'Come, for everything is now ready.' Lk 14:17

But made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. Phil 2:7

And a few servants:

Christ has become a servant of the Jews on behalf of God's truth, to confirm the promises made to the patriarchs. Romans 15:8

Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle and set apart for the gospel of God- Romans 1:1

Moses was faithful as a servant in all God's house, testifying to what would be said in the future. Heb. 3:5

James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ. James 1:1

Simon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, 2 Peter 1:1

Jude, a servant of Jesus Christ and a brother of James, Jude 1:1

The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John, Rev 1:1

5 comments:

Kate said...

This is so neat to see all these thoughts together...especially the list of servants. It gives me hope to think that we can go from being selfish and prideful to servants of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Kate

Maxine said...

I want to be His servant! I want to be a Phoebe (Romans 16:1).I don't want fame or fortune, but to serve my Lord where I am, in my home and in my church and wherever He needs me. Even on my blog! I know you feel the same way. This is a favorite theme for me, Kathy, as you can see. Thanks for this wonderful list of servants.

Kathy said...

Kate, I so agree. The list of servants really encouraged me, too. I want to willingly submit as a bondservant. Maxine, you said it so well. Phoebe is another excellent example! I want to be His servant, too.

Anonymous said...

In answer to the question - for you why follow Jesus?

I desire to follow the master, or guru on living a divinely human life with a passionate purpose, because as a diciple of such this specific person I can learn what it means to have an unbreakable bond with the author of my life (my creator)God Almighty maker of heaven and earth, what it means to grow in awareness of and connect deeply with and learn to love myself even as Jesus has shown his love for me that while I was still in the painful grip of sin he died for me, the beauty of deeply passionate interdependant connection with others in a way that honors the free will God gave them and me, a deep bond and experience of God's expression of himself as creator in nature - the beauty of a simple flower teaches me that if God cares so much for something so finite how much more must he care for me in sending Jesus to show me the way to Him, and finally in studying Jesus, talking to Jesus, walking with Jesus through scripture and through prayer and through experience, he shows me how to love, to give hope to the hopeless, how to recieve comfort, and how to know I am never, ever alone in this divinely human journey I am on.

Darla said...

I am a servant to the KING...and this post is a great reminder to me to not lose that focus. Since Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice to leave HIS perfect home to come live among us and die for us, there is nothing we will ever do in our service to the King that will require as much. His being a servant and King is the sweetest thing to ponder on...
Princess to princess